The Johns Hopkins Division of Rheumatology cares for patients with a variety of rheumatic diseases, with sub-specialty care available for select diagnoses. Specifically, we have sub-specialty centers with expertise treating diagnoses of rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, gout, lyme disease, scleroderma, myositis, Sjogren’s syndrome, vasculitis and lupus. Unfortunately, we do not currently have expertise in treating the following diagnoses:
- Chronic pain
- Chronic fatigue
- Peripheral neuropathy (alone)
- General back/neck pain (except suspected inflammatory back pain)
In order for your care to be matched to an appointment with an expert in the field of your diagnosis, it is necessary to have your records available to our physician reviewers prior to scheduling an appointment. Therefore, we ask that you have your referral and medical records faxed to 443-267-0090. It is important to include the following: a referral from your current physician, any clinical notes, imaging reports (including x-rays and MRIs), lab results, other tests results as applicable (such as pulmonary function tests echocardiograms, pathology reports, EMG/NCS results).
Once the review process has been completed, you will be contacted by one of our intake coordinators to assist with scheduling your appointment. You may also call the scheduling office at 443-997-1552 at any time to inquire as to the status of your record review. On the day of your scheduled appointment, it is important to:
- Arrive at least 30 minutes before your appointment to allow time for registration
- Bring your insurance card
- Bring a photo I.D.
- Bring your co-payment
- Bring a copy of name and address of all persons/doctors who would like to get copies of your visit materials
- Bring the following medical records if not already sent:
- All medical records relevant to your diagnosis (including rheumatology records, discharge summaries)
- List of all current medications (include all over-the-counter medications)
- Recent laboratory results
- Any imaging results (i.e., x-rays, ultrasounds, etc.)
- Pulmonary function tests (bring all test results)
- Echocardiogram (bring all test results)
- High resolution CT scan of lung (bring written report and copy of actual scan on CD-ROM disc)
Rescheduling Appointments and Cancellations
We schedule our appointments weeks in advance and are usually unable to reschedule on short notice. If you must reschedule, call us at 443-997-1552 as soon as possible. This will allow us to schedule another patient who is waiting to be seen
We look forward to participating in your care.
Late, Canceled and No Show Appointments
Late: The appointment time scheduled for you is time specifically allotted for your visit. If you are running late for an appointment, please call our scheduling office. Please note if you are more than 15 minutes late for your scheduled appointment time, we may not be able to accommodate your visit.
Canceled / No Show: If you are unable to keep your appointment we require a minimum of 24 hours’ notice. If you repeatedly do not provide our office with 24 hours’ notice, you may be subject to be discharged from our practice.
Our clinic is very busy and unfortunately patients often have to wait several months for an appointment. If you need to reschedule your appointment, please call us at 443-997-1552 as soon as possible. This will allow us to schedule another patient who is waiting to be seen.