Subspecialty Clinics – Consultative Rheumatology
- About our practice
- Our Physicians and Faculty
- Our Staff
- Gout Clinic
- Scheduling an appointment
- Prescription Refills
- Insurance/Billing Information
- Patient Resources
- Address and Directions
The Johns Hopkins Consultative Rheumatology Clinic is staffed by board-certified rheumatologists who are all attending physicians and faculty members of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. In addition, clinical fellows in rheumatology work in the clinic under the supervision of an attending physician. Clinical fellows are physicians who have completed three or more years of training in internal medicine and are now receiving 2-4 additional years of training as rheumatologists. They provide continuity care for patients in this practice during their tenure in our department. It is our mission to provide excellent clinical care while seeking to better define the causes, natural history, and best treatment approaches for rheumatologic diseases.
- Alan Baer, M.D., Director
- Rheumatologist Carol Ziminski, M.D.
- Rheumatologist Jill Ratain, M.D.
- Rheumatologist Thomas Grader-Beck, M.D.
- Rheumatologist Homa Timlin, M.D.
- Rheumatologist Philip Seo, M.D.
Meet Our Part-time Physicians and Faculty
- Ira T. Fine, M.D.
- Howard Hauptman, M.D.
- Peter Holt, M.D.
- Iredell W. Iglehart, III, M.D.
- Andrea Marx, M.D.
- David McGinnis, M.D.
Meet Our Fellows
- Tanmayee Bichile, M.D.
- Laura Cappelli, M.D.
- Eric Gapud, M.D.
- Colin Ligon, M.D.
- Karim Masri, M.D.
- Christopher Mecoli, M.D.
- Nadia Morgan, M.D.
- Eleni Tiniakou, M.D.
- Shannon Bishop
Medical Office Coordinators
- Brittany Hale
- Cathy Henry
Our medical office coordinators manage your referral to our clinic, the scheduling of your appointments, refilling of your prescriptions, and completion of medical disability forms. They also perform a large number of tasks inherent to a busy medical practice.
The Gout Clinic treats patients who have a known or suspected diagnosis of gout or pseudogout.
Appointment hours vary by physician. Our office hours are 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Our telephones are attended by our Medical Office Coordinators between the hours of 8.30 AM and 5:00 PM. During non-office hours, calls are handled by the answering service who will contact the covering physician for you.
The Johns Hopkins Division of Rheumatology cares for patients with a variety of rheumatic diseases, with sub-specialty care available for select diagnoses. Specifically, we have sub-specialty centers with expertise treating diagnoses of rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, gout, scleroderma, myositis, vasculitis and lupus. Unfortunately, we do not currently have expertise in treating patients diagnosed with fibromyalgia or chronic pain syndromes.
In order for your care to be matched to an appointment with an expert in the field of your diagnosis, it is necessary to have your records available to our physician reviewers prior to scheduling an appointment. Therefore, we ask that you have your referral and medical records faxed to 443-267-0090. It is important to include the following: a referral from your current physician, any clinical notes, imaging reports (including x-rays and MRIs), lab results, pulmonary function test and echo cardiogram results.
Once the review process has been complete, you will be contacted by one of our intake coordinators to assist with scheduling your appointment. You may also call the scheduling office at 443-997-1552 at any time to inquire as to the status of your record review. The scheduling office can also help to facilitate scheduling an appointment with a sub-specialty center, if appropriate.
On the day of your scheduled appointment, it is important to:
- Arrive at least 20 minutes before your appointment to allow time for registration
- Bring your insurance card
- Bring a a photo I.D.
- Bring your co-payment
- Bring the following medical records:
- Summary letters from all treating physicians and/or past rheumatologist records and/or hospital discharge summaries (bring last 3 reports)
- List of all current medications (include all over-the-counter medications)
- Recent laboratory results (bring last 3 reports)
- Pulmonary function tests (bring all test results)
- Echocardiogram (bring all test results)
- High resolution CT scan of lung (bring written report and copy of actual scan on CD-ROM disc)
- Any imaging results (i.e., x-rays, ultrasounds, etc.)
- Bring a copy of name and address of all persons/doctors who would like to get copies of your visit materials
We look forward to participating in your care.
Appointments can be made by calling 443-997-1552 and selecting the appropriate prompt for your physician.
We ask that you please notify us as soon as possible regarding cancellations of appointments. Unfortunately, if you do not cancel your appointment with at least 48 hours notice, you will be billed a $30.00 fee. This fee will not be covered by your insurance company.
Usually, your pharmacy will fax a refill authorization request to our office. This process minimizes errors in the transmission of information about your medication and dosage. If you call our office for a prescription refill, please have the following information available:
- Your name
- Your date of birth
- The medication name
- The medication dosage
- How you are taking the medication (once daily, twice daily, etc.)
- The quantity needed (one month or 3 month supply)
- The pharmacy phone number
- A contact number where you can be reached, in case we have questions.
We do not fill prescriptions over the weekend or holidays. Some prescriptions require prior authorization by your insurance plan, and this may take several days to obtain. Please plan ahead and request refills at least 3 days before running out of your medications.
We are participating with the following insurance payors:
- Aetna Health Plan
- Beech Street PPO
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- CareFirst BlueChoice HMO
- Coventry Healthcare
- First Health
- Great West/One Health PPO
- Humana Choicecare
- MDIPA HMO
- Maryland Medical Assistance
- Medicare Part B*
- Multiplan PPO
- One Net PPO
- Optimum Choice HMO
- Priority Partners MCO
- Private Healthcare Systems (PHCS)
- Tricare Reserve Select
- Tricare Standard
- United Healthcare
- US Family Health Plan
*We do not participate with out-of-state Medicaid or Medicare Advantage/Replacement plans
- Introductory Letter for New Patients
- New Patient Questionnaire
- Return Patient Questionnaire
- Medical Records Release Form
- Privacy Practices
- MVA Disability Form
- National Institute of Arthritis & Musculoskeletal & Skin Diseases (NIAMS)
- How to Give a Subcutaneous Injection
- American College of Rheumatology
- Rheum Info
Dr. Jill Ratain will see patients at two Johns Hopkins Community Physicians locations:
Johns Hopkins Community Physicians
Green Spring Station, Pavilion I, Suite 460
10755 Falls Road
Lutherville, MD 21093
Johns Hopkins Community Physicians
4924 Campbell Boulevard, Suite 205
White Marsh, MD 21236